Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Merry Christmas from Uncle Al



Via Bucksanta666.

Honestly, this just makes me a bit sad. Al Jourgensen, formerly of Ministry and a million other bands, recorded a Christmas song. In all honesty, although I can't understand the lyrics, it's a pretty cool song (if a bit like A Flock of Seagull's "Space Age Love Song"), but boy does he seem like he's wrecked. And not in the cool, nihilistic chic/Jim Morrisson kind of way. More like in the way of the one guy at the party who looks a little too old to be there and who gets WAY more hammered than everyone else and proceeds to make everyone else really uncomfortable. (Yes, that's been me on an occasion or twelve...) I hope you're doing alright, Al. "Twitch" had a huge impact on me as did pretty much the entire Wax Trax scene. It'd be nice to keep you around for awhile. Especially if you're going to branch out and do some really different, unexpected stuff like this.

UPDATE: I'm told Al had foot surgery recently (which would explain the mystery cane), so maybe all the slurry business is due to pain medication. Here's wishing a speedy recovery.

4 comments:

fractured said...

At first I thought it might be an act. Sadly, that seems less likely after watching the video through. I found A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste and Twitch to be mood setting for my early shift into industrial, as well. In fact, Mind, TPI by Skinny Puppy and Code by Cabaret Voltaire switched in and out of my tape player with those Ministry classics.

Tom said...

Fractured - That's pretty eerie... All of those albums (along with Nitzer Ebb's "Belief" and 242's "Front by Front" were my introduction to industrial for the most part.

fractured said...

The funny thing is that it was an attempt to emulate The Art of Noise that marks my first foray into making industrial. I was quite heavily influenced by Into Battle with the Art of Noise. Songs like Beatbox pushed me in the right direction, while Depeche Mode and Skinny Puppy shaped my songwriting. All of DM's catalog spent time with the other tapes.

In retrospect, I find it surprising I didn't discover With Sympathy until well after Ministry had moved on to a stronger rock sound with Filth Pig.

mangadrive said...

I'm not sure but I think his wife wants him to do a Christmas song.